In the Kitchen with Coby | Vegan Black Bean Burger
We’re back in the kitchen with Chef Coby Smith, this time making vegan black bean burgers. Watch to see how Chef Coby of The Hope Bistro at CARTI makes a burger everyone will enjoy.
- One 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 16 ounce can of red beans, drained and rinsed
- One 16 ounce can of refried beans, preferably vegetarian
- One yellow onion, diced
- Two tablespoons chopped garlic
- One tablespoon chili powder
- One tablespoon ground cumin
- One tablespoon paprika
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In separate pans, place the black beans and in red beans in a oven.
- Roast the beans to dry out and make them “pop”, releasing the starch from inside the beans. Not all beans need to “pop”.
- While beans are in the oven, sauté the onion and garlic until tender and fragrant. Add the chili powder, cumin, and paprika to the onions and garlic, and toast the spiced for one minute.
- Remove the black and red beans from oven, allowing them to cool for a couple minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the refried beans, red beans, black beans and onion mixture. Mix well with spoon or by hand.
- Add the cilantro.
- Add about half of the breadcrumbs and continue to mix.
- Begin testing the patties, to ensure they are forming correctly. If they are not coming together, add more bread crumbs
- Once patties are all formed, you have three cooking options:
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Sauté them in a medium-hot skillet with a small amount of oil for about two minutes on each side.
- Grill them on a hot grill for two minutes on each side.