In The Kitchen With Coby | Tuna Cakes
Chef Coby Smith of The Hope Bistro at the CARTI Cancer Center in Little Rock makes tuna cakes with a garlic aioli.
- 1 lb. canned tuna, liquid removed
- 2 TB diced red bell pepper
- 2 TB diced green onion
- 12 butter crackers, crushed
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 TB lemon zest
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs with 1 quart milk whisked together
- 4 cups panko bread crumbs or plain bread crumbs
- Open can or packet of tuna, squeeze any liquid into mixing bowl.
- Add diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, crushed butter crackers, zest and juice of one lemon and mayo.
- Mix together until well blended.
- In three separate dishes, add flour, egg/milk mixture and panko bread crumbs.
- To begin making the cakes, divide mixture into four equal portions, forming into balls.
- Pack the mixture firmly, and gently flatten into patties, similar to making hamburger patties.
- Take the tuna patties and dredge them in the flour, then egg/milk wash and finally the bread crumbs. Repeat until all of the patties are complete.
- In a medium-hot sauté pan, sauté the tuna cakes until gold brown.